The point of land upon which the Allmon cottage now stands was the earliest occupied. In or about 1870 a group of eight sportsmen camped on what is now vacant lot #23, calling it "Camp Pleasant". In 1874 John H. Thorpe of Charlotte, a member of the original sportsmen's group, built a small camp. At about the turn of the century this camp was moved across the ice to Long Point, and the present cottage on the Thompson's Point site was put up by Frederick Beckwith of Middlebury.
Beckwith sold to Colonel E.B. Woodbury of Burlington who was much involved in Point activities and improvements until 1922 when he sold to Colonel Willard N. McCornack, a retired Army officer. His son, Willard F. McCornack, camped here on summer vacations from his Department of the Interior tasks in Washington, D.C. For many years the McCornack camp was the site of challenging intellectual games for Point youngsters and lively bridge games for their parents.
It was to this cottage that Elsa Woodbury (of the former Crane, now Ansley cottage) first came as a little girl to the Point. Here it was that W.W. Higbee in 1899 spoke of John Thorpe sitting in his front yard and saluting the 'Chateaugay' as she passed morning and night within a few hundred feet of his front door.
In 1986 the McCornack estate sold the cottage to Charles and Gwen Allmon of Maryland. The Allmons first came to the Point in 1956. Charles Allmon's company was listed on the New York Stock Exchange, 1986-1995. The Allmons own extensive acreage in Charlotte adjoining Mount Philo.
In 1986-1987 the camp was renovated with the original roof line still intact. Beneath the camp once can still see the original tree stump supports; nothing has changed in 100 years. In 1996 nine of the Allmon clan were in residence at the Thompson's Point cottage.