That known presently as the Currier cottage at the end of the Point was built by Frank Manchester in 1891. It was sold in 1895 to U.S. Supreme Court Justice David J. Brewer, who occupied it for many years with his children and grandchildren, one of whom, David B. Karrick, become one of the governing Commissioners of the District of Columbia. In 1923, after Justice Brewer's death, the camp was sold to Mrs. Nathaniel Webb of Greenwich, CT, and her sister, Mrs. Cole. It's ownership was transferred in 1928 to Mrs Webb's daughter, Catherine Webb (Mrs. John R.) Currier, whose descendants continue to occupy it.
Adjacent to that cottage, up the slope toward what was then our windmill and is now our electric water pump, Martin F. Allen of North Ferrisburgh had a nice two-story cottage. It was struck by lightning in 1907 and destroyed by fire in an event vivid in the minds of many cottagers who were then but youths and have now become old-timers... with women and children forming a bucket brigade up from the lake, and older folk with garden hoses at work close to the intense heat. The volunteers saved the Brewer place, although blistered, but could not save the Allen camp. In October of the same year, Justice Brewer took over the Allen lot and in 1908 a new lease from the town combined the two. Thus the Currier property now goes from the remains of the "Big Dock" up to the pumphouse and down along the shore to the remains of the Curriers' dock at the very "point" of Thompson's Point.
Extra - 1902 New York Times Article