When Martin Allen built the cottage that was burned in 1907, he also in 1887 put a smaller one on the high bluff where later a small old iron water tank used to stand, and now only a stone pier marks the spot. The smaller camp was for Sarah F. Allen of Ferrisburgh. It was sold to W.F. Hackett of Ogdensburg, NY, in 1908, and by his widow in 1939 to J. Adsit, Jr., a former Middlebury College football great and resident of Burlington. He and his family occupied it for a few years after he returned from the U.S. Navy during World War II.
He sold it in the fall of 1950 to Barlow Reid, then of Yonkers, NY, who, as a child, had spent brief summer vacations in several cottages including the Enos' (now the Kuennes), the Coreys' (now the Illicks') and the Peenes' (now the Naylors'). The Reids moved to suburban San Francisco in 1959 but have used the cottage for longer or shorter parts of every summer for 45 years. Their children and grandchildren continue to be frequent visitors.