Seven families from Essex Junction in 1887 put up and for many years occupied in turn an adjacent structure which was simply called "The Essex Junction Cottage" rather than by the names of the titular owners, Reed and Sawyer of that town. It was sold in 1909 to William Brown of Rutherford, NJ, whose daughter Marion still (sic) "camps" there, the wife of S. Russell Williams of Charlotte, to whom it was transferred in 1933. Just another of those cottages of long tenure here in the same family.
Russell Williams, whose brother "Bill" owned the Old Brick Store in Charlotte, was a recreational sailor of considerable talent, and he started what became a weekly series of races for small sailboats in the area. In the 1970's ownership passed to Marion and Russell's daughter, Mary Williams King, who occupied the camp until 1987 when she sold to Edgar and Edna VanZandt of Princeton and Flemington, NJ.
The VanZandts had been visitors at the Irving-Furman-Drye camp since 1969 (Hannah Furman VanZandt was Edgar's stepmother). Ownership of the cottage was passed to the VanZandts' four children in 1993.