In 1903 business partners Walter Palmer and Fred Bacon leased adjoining lots at the very head of what was once called Button Bay. Walter and Lucy Palmer built their cottage in 1904, to which they traveled by horse and buggy from their Shelburne Falls home to enjoy weekends on the lake.
Lucy inherited the camp at Walter's death, and eventually passed it on to their children, Loren, Raymond, and Lois. The brothers and their families "regularly reached beyond their bay to enjoy the deep water and the fish of the broad lake". Now the third and fourth generations of the family take their pleasure on the lake in craft ranging from kayaks to a regal sailboat.